Cleanup--No Major Damage Reported

Melissa Edwards, Senior Reporter | 3 Opinions
Published: July 13, 2017 12:11 pm AST
The Public Works Department (PWD) is carrying out cleanup operations throughout the island, to remove fallen trees, rocks, and other debris, following heavy rainfall last evening into this morning.

Mr. Anthony McMaster, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Communications and Works, told BVI Platinum News that so far, there have been no reports of any major damage. However, he said that the PWD team is driving around the island to assess the situation.

"Not that I have received (reports of damage) as yet. We are actually taking another trip around the island to see if we see anything. Right now, we are heading towards the Carrot Bay area, because the representative (Hon. Andrew Fahie) sent us a message about one of the ghuts and couple yards that need some attention."

A resident taking part in the clean up
Photo Credit: Melissa Edwards/BVI Platinum News
He added, "Apart from that, we haven't received anything new...So it's basically tidying up the areas so that the roads can be fully accessible."

Government has asked that members of the public stay off the roads until 12 noon, to allow the PWD to conduct cleanup operations, as landslides and rock falls have occurred.

Also, on the radio, Mrs. Rosalie Adams, Deputy Governor indicated that public officers are to report to work at 12 noon.

The Flash Flood Warning which was issued for the Territory, ends at 12 noon.

Readers' Opinion

Please note that the opinions posted are the opinions of its author and does not reflect the views of the management, staff, parent company or sponsors of Virgin Islands Platinum News.